The second block in the Something New Sampler was the Folded Block. This block is HEAVY (especially if you fold the strips in half like I did)! But once I got the hang of it, it was fun to make. My first try was a complete disaster. I tried to adjust my block a little bit to get a slightly different look and just ended up all confused. I figured it all out, but my block was just a little scary looking. SO I cut off all the edges (rather than rip out all that stitching) and started over, making my strips 2 inches longer and folding them in half, rather than just 1/4 inch, but otherwise following the tutorial EXACTLY as it was given. MUCH BETTER.
My goal is to make two of each block in this sampler, with the second block having some kind of twist to it to make it more "my own." So I sat down and meticulously planned out my own version of a folded block. And it almost worked out. Almost. I overlooked a few things and in the end wasn't able to weave my strips to get the look I wanted. So I ripped them out and sewed them each on to my foundation one at a time. I think I liked this method better anyway because it seemed more stable to me. I'm not sure I'll make many more of these in the future, but it was a really fun block to make and I'm excited to see how it looks with all the others!
Here are my two folded blocks.
Also. I never got a chance to blog about the second Bargello block I made. For this one, I just made it so the design ran across the long side of the block, rather than the short side.
Here are my two Bargello blocks.
Up next, reverse applique, Sashiko, and a scraptastic block!
No comments:
Post a Comment