This week I made both blocks for the Something New Sampler.
The first was Sashiko. I really had no idea what Sashiko was before this week. Turns out it's a Japanese form of embroidery that looks a lot like hand quilting, only it's only done through one layer. I had no idea what patterns to try, but I tried to keep things simple and went for two repeating designs. Apparently, the interlocking circles are a traditional Sashiko design.
I never would have finished these if it weren't for THIS pin. Did you know you can use Crayola Washable markers on fabric? My water soluble pen is pretty much completely dead, so I gave it a try and it TOTALLY works! I just gave my blocks a little swish in some soapy water, rinsed them out good, and wallah! No more marker. Although my fabric seems to have shrunk already. I guess that's what I get for not cutting my pieces bigger.
The second block was reverse applique. I've been curious about this technique for awhile, so it was fun to try. I like how it makes the applique look so flat. Almost like it's just part of the background fabric. Some people are concerned about the raw edges, but I liked the suggestion to zig-zag around the edges after cutting everything out. Filing that one away for later...
Of course, I had to use stars for my second applique block. The fussy cut star was an afterthought and I'm glad it worked out.
This is fun! Looking forward to next week!
Washable crayolas, genius! Love your sashiko designs. That's been on my list for a while now :)
ReplyDeleteWashable crayolas, genius! Love your sashiko designs. That's been on my list for a while now :)
ReplyDeleteWow! I love your Sashiko!
ReplyDelete